Thursday, March 28, 2013

About that diet...

I talked big talk about wanting to lose the baby weight and get healthy. Unfortunately, my walk didn't measure up.

JD and I gradually cut out bread, pasta, cheese, peanut butter, and a variety of other processed foods. Our inspiration was the Paleo Diet, but we knew we didn't want to give up legumes (peanuts, some beans) and all dairy. Since I'm breastfeeding, I wanted to make sure I was getting the right amount of nutrients. And my cooking skills aren't exactly advanced. I can follow a recipe for the most part, but I only make a handful of things on a regular basis. I wanted to keep enough ingredients in our diet for me to make dinner.

Pinned Image

We did really well for the first few weeks. We had eggs (fried, scrambled, hard boiled) for breakfast rather than cereal or toast. I no longer searched the pantry for dessert as soon as the last bite of my dinner was gone. It wouldn't have matter if I searched, anyway- there wasn't anything in there. Our dinners consisted of meat and vegetables. For snacks we had trail mix (no M&Ms!) or fruit.

We tried almond flour pizza crust when we wanted to use up the rest of our shredded cheese. Afterwards we decided we'd rather just not eat pizza.

My main beverage was water. Juice was out and milk was cut way down (even though we already drink skim). 

I was actually getting used to going to bed without a bowl of cereal or cookies in my tummy. JD lost that sympathy weight he put on while I was pregnant.

 Pinned Image

Then we cheated. Froyo here, Pizza Hut there. And it went downhill.

The real breaking point was our move. We used up or threw away the food in our fridge and pantry. The last couple days were full of processed foods and take-out. Now that we're living with my parents (which comes with it's own trials and tribulations), they've given us free reign of their kitchen. I've downed more Snack Packs and Wheat Thins than I care to admit.

I've never been good at diets. Truth be told, I've never really been on one. I've always tried to eat balanced meals, but never thought twice about the calorie count in a grande latte or ice cream cone. After my post on one-piece bathing suits, I tried a couple on and was really discouraged. Not only did I not look good in them, but I didn't feel good either. Time to jump back on the wagon. I refuse to buy a whole new wardrobe to accommodate this body. I guess I'll either get my old one back or show off my muffin top in too-tight shirts. Let's hope it's not the latter.

 Healthy Eating Is About Choices  www.UncomplicatedCooking.com

This candy-centered holiday isn't going to help any.

No comments: