Thursday, January 10, 2013

what i've learned so far

I recently celebrated the anniversary of my birth and received a few wishes that were less than happy. My childhood BFF texted me and said "Half way through the 20's!". My aunt sent me a card that read "Centarian". I was fairly certain that wasn't a word (props to me, it's not. Centenarian is one who lives to be 100), but she also included a quarter so I understood her point. I'm a quarter of a century old. Waaaah!

I always enjoy when local news stations interview the elderly. Or when Ellen talks with Gladys. Old people are hilarious...whether they mean to be or not. And they have really great lessons to teach the rest of us. Since I officially feel old (er), I have some things to share about life.

(1) You can never have too many office supplies. They truly do make you feel more in control of your life.

{pink leopard scissors, stapler, and tape dispenser: TJMaxx, last season.
Top notebook: planner from Target. Couldn't find the exact design online.}

(2) Use receiving blankets as burp cloths. Actual burp clothes are only a tad larger than a washcloth. That just doesn't cut it when a baby feels like shooting his breakfast all over the couch, the couch pillows, and the outfit you just put on. We received several hand-me-down receiving blankets, which Paxton outgrew in about a week, and found that they made excellent spit-up shields.

(3) The best days start with breakfast sandwiches. Really, any type of egg will do, but I prefer the one smashed between two pieces of toast, such as today's Fried Egg and Avocado Sandwich.



(4) Pregnancy glow is a lie. It was made up to make women who are with child feel better about their huge selves. I remember whining to JD around month 3 (and then again in each of the subsequent months), "I just want to glooooooow." Did you actually feel it?? Good for you.

My body aches just looking at this picture...

(5) The greatest knowledge is knowing how to learn. I should have included this in my recent post about what I hope to teach my students. As citizens today, we have information at our fingertips. We don't have to cram facts into our brains. We simply need to be able to know where to go to find them and how to use the source once we get there.

(6) IMDB is addictive. I go on there to find the answer to one question (What have I seen that actress in before??) and end up clicking on a million different pages. Kramer from Seinfeld was on Cheers? Robin from HIMYM really is Canadian? Interesting. Along with this is You learn something new every day.

(7) You should always have cake on your birthday. To be honest, this birthday wasn't so great. And it really wasn't because of my age. JD threw his back out on Friday and was taking muscle relaxers all weekend. This meant I pretty much had baby duty all by myself. Spending my birthday with my son wasn't the problem. Spending it basically without my husband was. It just felt...blah. But we did end up going to the grocery store and I picked up a mini cake from the bakery. It lifted my spirits :)

Pinned Image
Not my cake, obviously, but I'll take donuts with candles next year!

Pinned Image
How cute for a boy's birthday?? 

(8) My high school 4.0 and Valedictorian status mean nothing. Well, not nothing. I'm still proud of them. But the general public and the majority of the workforce do not care. Colleges really didn't either, despite what my high school teachers said. However, I will never admit this to my children.  They will be just as blind to this as I was.

(9) It's not what you say, it's how you say it. My mom said this to me SO many times growing up and I never really understood. I totally get it now. A quick "I love you!" as you run out the door is not as meaningful as the one said with a smile on your face as you look into that person's eyes. And "Whatever" along with an eye roll and a sigh is complete disrespectful. Oops.


I really wanted a list of ten (Type A, anyone?), but I figured this is enough food for thought for one day.

Happy Thursday, everyone!

3 comments:

Emily said...

Happy belated birthday!!

Emily said...

I love this list and I can relate to so many of them! That little construction cake is SO cute! :)

Miranda said...

Best burp clothes? Gerber Cloth Diapers. They are the old fashioned ones that would need safety pins but they still sell them at Babies R Us i believe. They absorb awesome and you won't go through as many regular burp clothes/blankets!