Thursday, January 31, 2013

SPD: almond flour pizza crust

As I shared on Monday, JD and I are putting Project Pre-Baby Body into action. He gained some sympathy weight so we're doing this together :) We were inspired by the Paleo lifestyle, but put together something that meets our individual needs.

What we're eating....


healthy diet

 (water, veggies, fruits, nuts, dried fruit, eggs, and lean meats)

What we're not eating...
foods to avoid


 (bread, pasta, most dairy, and many processed foods, but admittedly, not all)
Quick side note- I had no idea Polyvore could be used for anything but fashion collages. I've been missing out.

It just so happened that we made our decision to change our eating a couple days before our next grocery shopping trip. We don't want to waste food we already had, so we are finishing up the last few slices of bread, spoonfuls of peanut butter, and sprinkles of shredded cheese.

Over the weekend we made our first ever trip to Whole Foods. And we are most likely never going back. I know many of you out there swear by this place, but it's just not for us. For one, it was a madhouse in there. So.many.people. Second, we couldn't find one of the two items we were looking for. Besides the DELISH 365 Berry Bounty trail mix we picked up, it was a wasted trip. Third, we aren't going organic so we can buy everything we need at a regular grocery store in the produce, meat, and specialty diet sections.

We decided to try almond flour pizza crust as our first gluten-substitute food. I searched Pinterest for a recipe and, of course, it didn't disappoint. This one looked the easiest to me...and contained ingredients I had actually heard of. That last characteristic is VERY important to me when it comes to the kitchen. I like trying new things, but I'm not a master chef.

{original pin}
 Almond flour pizza crust
Note: this is NOT a paleo, nut-free, or dairy-free recipe.

What you'll need:
- 2 cups almond flour
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder We omitted because I didn't plan ahead...
- 1/2 teaspoon ground oregano
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese Only used about 2 shakes...which in technical terms was probably about a tablespoon.
- pizza toppings of your choosing We went with basil spaghetti sauce, tomatoes, mushrooms, green peppers, and some of our remaining shredded Cheddar Jack :)



What to do:

(1)  Pre-heat oven to 350.

(2) Mix together ingredients 1-8.

(3) Spread dough onto cookie sheet. Dough will be sticky! Recipe suggested laying down a sheet of parchment paper on the cookie sheet and then using another sheet to press down on the dough. I used olive oil instead. A tad messy? Yes, but it worked wonderfully.

(4) Bake at 350 for 12-15 minutes. If I'm remembering correctly, ours was in for 13 minutes.

The yellow spots are from some shredded cheese I accidentally dumped into the mixture before I read it correctly and realized Parmesean cheese was called for. Typical.

(5) Top with toppings you have chosen.

(6) Return to the oven until your toppings are cooked to your desire. About 5 minutes or so should melt cheese. We like our green peppers a little soft so ours was in for 7ish.



Result? Well, if you follow on Instagram, you may have seen my success post. After the first bites we were pleasantly surprised.

 I was amazed he let me take this picture. He was too hungry to care.


Honestly, we weren't expecting much and this was not bad at all.

But we weren't thrilled with it either.

We ate it and it fulfilled our dinner needs, but we won't be making it again. Maybe those of you who are accustomed to gluten-free recipes will enjoy this more. Or maybe you are on a similar diet and just really want pizza. Like I said, definitely not bad. Just not "OMG-go-make-this-now delicious".

I've seen califlower pizza crust recipes- have you tried one? Do you recommend it?
Since we'll be completely cutting out cheese once our current stash is gone, we should try another type of crust soon :)

 

3 comments:

Ashley Barnhill said...

I loveeeee pizza and this one looks so good and healthy!

Helene said...

this looks healthy, maybe too healthy! haha good to know!
Helene in Between

Jennie said...

I am going to have to try this!
Love your blog, I am also a buckeye who no longer lives in Ohio. =(