Thursday, January 17, 2013

Recipe: Frito Pie

Today I'm linking up with Katie and Steph to share a fun, resolution-breaking meal.

frito pie

Original pin can be found here.

Pinterest informed me that I had pinned this a YEAR ago! I cannot believe I waited this long to make it.

Here's what you'll need:

+ 1 lb ground beef
+ 1 8 oz can tomato sauce
+ 1 15 oz can diced tomatoes
+ 1 16 oz can chili beans
+ 1 packet taco seasoning
+ shredded cheese
+ Fritos
+ sour cream

I'm leaving exact amounts off the last 3 ingredients because it's really up to you! I personally think the cheesier the better and JD dislikes sour cream, so our version may be a little different than yours. Add these ingredients to your liking.


Step 1: Brown the beef, drain, and return to skillet. Preheat oven to 350.

Step 2: Stir in beans, tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, seasoning, and a handful of cheese. *Here I heated and let simmer for a few minutes. Not in the original recipe, but I wanted the beans to get very soft.

Step 3: Layer the bottom of a 9x13 baking dish with Fritos. Cover with beef mixture. Bake at 350 for 20 minutes.

Step 4: Spread desired amount of cream cheese over beef mixture. Add desired amount of shredded cheese. Top with Fritos.

Step 5: Bake for an additional 5 minutes.

Step 6: Enjoy!


Note: I did not enjoy this dish leftover...and I'm a HUGE leftover fan. I even used the oven to re-heat instead of the microwave, but it didn't matter. Next time I'll half the recipe so nothing goes to waste!

Possible modifications:

- Substitute the beef mixture for your favorite chili recipe

- Use Chili Cheese Fritos

- Add chopped green pepper and/or onions

Happy eating!

4 comments:

Cassie said...

looks delish! and easy too.. that's what I like haha

Melanie Montgomery said...

My husband LOVES frito pie, I need to make this for him!

Kristen said...

OMG YUM! I've been trying to eat better lately, but this looks so good... maybe I'll make it for our cheat day this weekend :) pinning it now! ha

Corin said...

Oh goodNESS girl- hellooooo super bowl! Stealing this!

Follow back! :)

http://corinbakes.blogspot.com/