Saturday, October 27, 2012

recipe: tortilla soup

Tortilla Soup

My mom passed on this recipe to me and as soon as I tried it, I knew I had to share it. I'm not sure where she got it from, but I'll update this page to give credit as soon as I find out.

This is a great fall/winter soup. Get yourself a bowl, snuggle up on the couch, and watch your favorite TV show.

Ingredients:
-2 cans condensed chicken with rice soup, undiluated
-2 2/3 cups water OR chicken broth (I used 2 cups chicken broth, because that's 1 can, and 2/3 cups water)
-2 cups salsa
-2 tsp cumin
-1 can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
-1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
-2 cups frozen corn
-2 cups cooked chicken, diced

Combine all ingredients in large saucepan. Cook over medium-high heat until heated through. Serve with tortilla chips, shredded cheese, and sour cream.

Seriously, this is awesome :) For less of the "taco" flavor, I recommend less salsa and less cumin. I may add some canned tomatoes next time for more of a chili type taste. Also, it makes A LOT...enough for JD and I to have 2 bowls each for a few meals, so, even though we love it, I'll be halving the recipe next time!

Happy cooking (and even happier eating)!

xoxo,
Sarah

No comments: