Sunday, October 28, 2012

must-haves

...for the first two months.



I've now been a mommy for two months and I think I'm finally getting the hang of this! The first couple weeks were rough because Paxton demanded being held at all times. Besides in our arms, he would only sleep in his swing. It's second-hand and makes a squeaky noise unless positioned just right. Needless to say, we didn't get much sleep. Now that he's sleeping 7-9 hours per night, I can think straight and thought I'd share some items that have made my life so much easier.

Lifesavers:

I downloaded this app on my phone before Paxton was born because I had heard that babies like the sound of fans, static, and other "white noise". His favorite is the Airplane setting. When he is crying in an attempt to fight sleep (which is about 70% of the time) we use this to calm him down. Once he's quiet, he'll fall asleep and we gradually turn the volume down and eventually off.

2) SwaddleMe blankets


Paxton sleeps in one of these about half the time. We've learned the traditional method of swaddling, but have yet to master it. He always squirms his way out, which results in his arms flailing and waking him up. The Swaddle Me blankets are AWESOME because they have velcro and after a few simple folds, Paxton is successfully wrapped.

3) Boppy pillow


I use this every single time I nurse. I put another pillow underneath, but I'm assuming as Paxton grows I won't have to do that any more. The Boppy is also great for propping him up for play time because he's not a huge fan of laying flat on his back (except to watch his mobile in his crib). I don't have the slip cover pictured, but now I want it!



Speaking of not liking to lay flat, Paxton sleeps in this thing every night and for every nap. It cradles him and has a slight incline. We can easily move it from room to room and it folds for easy traveling and storage. We got it used from a friend of my mom's and it's missing the toy, but we still LOVE it.

5) Musical toys


I've talked specifically about the Soothe and Glow Seahorse, but Paxton likes anything musical. It won't be too long before he's embarrassed about JD and I singing and dancing, but oh well!

All babies are different, but I highly recommend trying these products!

xoxo,
Sarah


*This is NOT a sponsored post.

3 comments:

Emily said...

I totally agree with these items! My son is 5 months old and we still use a lot of these! The rock and play was a lifesaver when he was super little! :)

Suzy @ Joy Is At Home said...

i LOVE that white noise app!

Miranda said...

I loved the boppy! we used it constantly! also my son is now 2 years old and we still use white noise loop on an ipod. He can sleep without it but also blocks out noise in the rest of the house when he is sleeping and we are still awake.