Saturday, September 22, 2012

paxton's birth story {part 1}

I wanted to put Paxton's birth story into writing in order to preserve these facts in my mind. I realize not all of you want to know the details of my labor and delivery, so my advice to you is to simply not read these posts. For all others- read on and enjoy.

Friday, August 24th was like any other day. (I feel like this is how all birth stories start...) I hung around the house doing some cleaning, cooking, napping, etc. while JD was at work. I texted my mom with the daily update (starting about a week before my due date- the 20th- my mom requested that I check in every day) and told her I felt completely normal. No signs of labor. By this point we were all getting very frustrated and anxious. A few days earlier at my 40 week appointment, I was about 1 1/2 cm dilated and 40% effaced. My doctor scheduled an induction for Tuesday the 28th. I felt so normal that I was sure I would still be pregnant at that point. I was almost convinced that I would just be pregnant forever!

When JD got home we decided to walk to a near-by restaurant, The Great Dane, for dinner. I had a chicken salad sandwich and veggies and dip. We talked about possibly attending a friend's party. When we got home I suggested we play some cards. We got out a deck and began a game of rummy. About 10 minutes (about 7:30) into the game I slightly moved in the chair where I was sitting and felt some fluid leak out. I immediately went to the bathroom and peed a little, but I didn't feel the urge to go so I didn't think that I had peed my pants. I came out and explained the situation to JD. He just sat there with his cards in his hands and stared at me! He was like-- "Well, which is it??" I tried explaining to him that I've never gone through this before so I had no idea what was supposed to happen! We decided I should call our hospital's nurse hotline. Since we don't have good cell service in our apartment, I walked outside to call while JD did a few chores we wanted done before leaving for the hospital. He joined me outside and we went for a short walk while I talked to the nurse. She suggested we go to the hospital and they would check the fluid to see if my water had broken.

We started packing a few more items in our bags and the small leak turned into a succession of big gushes of fluid. At this point it was obvious what was happening. I changed my pants, which was useless because I just ruined the new ones as soon as I put them on! We headed out (a little after 8:00) and called our parents on the way. Because I was overdue, they all had their bags packed and said they may hit the road right away or may wait until I was admitted. Turns out they could have waited even longer than that...but that's a story for another day :)

{part 2} {part 3}


Carly Anne said...

Can't wait to read the rest!

JKT said...

Love it!! Can't wait to

Miranda said...

love birth stories!!! excited to hear more!

Miranda said...

p.s. my sister works in madison and loves the great dance!!!