Monday, August 6, 2012

a {short} rant + a winner!

I'm here to discuss a  topic that's been bursting my bubbles lately. If you know someone who is pregnant please, please, please don't ask her this:

"Where you trying to get pregnant?"

This question is unacceptable and completely rude for the following reasons.

(1) If the pregnancy did happen to be an "accident", you're rubbing it in.

(2) You are insinuating that you have some problem with her having a child. Do you think she's too young? Too old? Already has too many kids? What's the problem??

(3) Other people's romantic lives are none of your business.

Now, there is an exception to every rule. In this case, the exception is if this person has recently told you something along the lines of never wanting kids, wanting a divorce, etc. However I honestly believe this is the ONLY reason why this question should be asked.

I understand that some people have very close relationships with her moms and best friends. And by very close I mean you talk about everything under the sun. I am not one of those people. There are some things that stay between my husband and myself. So, you may think..."My friend won't mind me asking...She'll understand my curiosity." Maybe. But think twice before you ask. Consider the reasons given above.

Obviously, I have personally gotten this question more than once from family members and friends. Yes, JD and I are young. Yes, we will be welcoming Paxton before our first wedding anniversary. Yes, we live in a small 2 bedroom apartment. I understand the concern on the part of people who love us. That still does not give you the right to pry. We are so excited about our little boy and you diminish this excitement a little every time you open your mouths.

Don't get me wrong. We have gotten an abundance of "Congratulations!" and "We're so happy for you!"s. These are so special to me! Thank you to all our supporters!

So, readers, what do you think? Did you get this question at all when you were pregnant? How did it make you feel?

There's a good chance I'm just being oversensitive. I am 38 weeks pregnant and all :) Thanks for reading as I rant!

**********************************************************************************

On a completely different note, there is a winner for my

a Rafflecopter giveaway

Congratulations, Beth! I'll be e-mailing you shortly!

Thanks to everyone who entered :) Happy Monday!

xoxo,
Sarah

3 comments:

Amanda @ everyday b and b said...

I have been asked this ALL the time since making the official announcement that Jason and I are expecting. Now, we aren't married, and it was definitely an unplanned surprise, but I agree it's not anyone else's business how you conceived, all they need to know is that you did and that's what counts! :)

Mary said...

whoaaa! I can't believe someone asked you that! Please read the following as if I was pre-teen Stephanie Tanner: "How rude!"

MandeeFoFandee said...

yep, we got the question all the time in the beginning. what really chaps my ass is that we WERE trying and we tried for over a year, which most people knew. so to insinuate that my baby was a mistake or a surprise reaaaaaally does not sit well with me.