Tuesday, June 5, 2012

where did this year go?!


 Time flies
I cannot believe I only have 2 days of school left in my first year of teaching! 

I remember... walking into my first day of staff meetings in the pouring rain. I had just received a new-teacher gift of an umbrella with the school's logo the day before. Of course I had left it on my classroom.

I remember... waiting in the hallway for parents and students to show up for open house. I was so nervous to introduce myself for the first time to my kids.

I remember... handing out the syllabi and rules on the first day. Looking back at the original behavior plans, I'm not sure what I was thinking. I'm glad I chose to change to something that required less work.

year

I remember... starting every day with a white chocolate mocha, peppermint latte, or pumpkin spice latte from October-December. 

I remember... being SO ready for Christmas break. How weird that it was over 5 months ago!!

I remember... finally starting to not stress about school stuff (okay, not stressing as much) once I learned I was pregnant. I was too preoccupied with keeping my bubbly stomach in check and trying not to fall asleep at my desk!


Year
I remember... being both happy and frustrated while grading papers. Student creativity and success made me just as proud as student laziness and failure made my heart ache.

I remember... loving the sound of "Wow, this is fun!" or "I love coming to (insert class name here) this week!" from students because of an awesome project I had created.

I remember... absolutely despising parent communication. I'm starting to not loathe it quite as much, but it may be a lifelong process.

I'm really going to miss the 7th graders next year. They showed academic growth and social maturity (most days) and I looked forward to my classes with them the most. If my one-year leave of absence doesn't get approved I'll have my 6th graders again (...yay...). Unfortunately, I became more and more impatient with these students as the year went on...especially here toward the end. They definitely challenged me this year, but I learned a lot!

 More on What I Learned During My First Year in a future post!
  
***********************************************************************************
Continuing on with this survey :)
100 Questions [11-25]
11. You’ve got the TV on, but you’re not really watching. What channel is the TV on? Style or BRAVO. Any other channel and I'm actually watching. For some reason, though, I think I want to watch Big Rich Texas or any of the Real Housewives but I actually end up on here or Pinterest just listening to the drama in the background.
12. Name a song that never fails to make you happy.  CeeLo Green's "[Forget] You" or Niki Minaj's "Super Bass".
13. You know at least one person named Michael. Tell me about him. My cousin recently got divorced from a Michael who stole from her parents. Super awesome story.
14. Have you ever read the “missed connections” on Craigslist? Have you ever posted one, or wanted to? No, no, and no.
15. If you could pick anywhere to live the rest of your life, where would it be?  OHIO. ha. I know you followers are so sick of me talking about it. Hopefully I'll be back there soon and I can stop complaining :) Actually, if my friends and family would move to Wisconsin I'd stay here because I love Madison.
16. Can money buy happiness? It would make daily life easier, but no.
17. Do you drink? Smoke? Do drugs? Why, or why not? No, no and no. Because I'm preggo :) I wouldn't smoke or do drugs anyway, but I occasionally miss my mixed drinks!
18. Is there anyone close to you that you know you can’t trust? You don’t have to give names. I have a friend who I know I can't depend on all that much. She's a people-pleaser and those types don't always stand up for their friends because they're worried about what others will think.
19. Where was your favorite place to go when you were a little kid? Family get-togethers. I loved to hang out with my cousins!
20.  Have you ever spent a night in the hospital? Nope.  
21. Do you enjoy being with only one or two friends or with a large group of people? One or two friends. A group of 5 or 6 is great, too.  
22. Do you like the type of music your parents listen to? Do your parents like the type of music you listen to?  I grew up listening to country because that's what my parents listen to most of the time. I still love it. I also listen to some "pop/rock/hip-hop" music that my parents don't listen to.
23. Have you ever been bullied? Have you ever bullied anyone else? I'm sure the answer is yes to both. However, I don't even remember being really upset by a bullying incident nor do I remember purposefully doing anything to bully someone. I'm sure Jr. High involved, both, though, no matter how nice of a person I consider myself to be.  
24. If you could only eat one thing for the rest of your life, what would it be? How specific do I have to be here? I would say fruit. Or cheese. Or cereal.
25. If your partner wanted to wait until marriage before having sex, would you stay in that relationship? Definitely. I'm not saying it would have been easy, but I love my now-husband and if that's what he wanted I would have respected his wishes.

xoxo,
Sarah

No comments: